"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Baker, California

Above, Alien Fresh Jerky. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While heading for my first night's stop in Las Vegas during my Great American Eclipse trip of last month, I stopped in at Baker, California, which is midway between Barstow and Las Vegas in the Mojave Desert.

Baker is long known as the "Gateway To Death Valley" and it was a favorite stop for resting and food for travelers. The town was initially also known for the Bun Boy Restaurant and Motel. I hadn't been in Baker for many years, so I was surprised to see the Bun Boy business all closed up. I was told by a server at Del Taco that it had been closed for about six years.

Baker is also famous for its giant thermometer. I managed to get a photo of The Beast with the thermometer and the closed up Bun Boy in the background. It was reading one hundred degrees at the time. Well, it is in the desert in the middle of August.

Above, The Beast with the giant thermometer and the closed Bun Boy in the background. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While I was in the Baker Del Taco, a Facebook friend asked me if the Alien Fresh Jerky store was still open. I had never heard of it before. As I was leaving Baker, I spotted it and took a photo of it. It appeared to be open for business, but I didn't stop in. I have since been told that they have good beef jerky. Note the alien decor, especially the lights in the parking lot.

No comments:

Search This Blog