"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Retrofitted The Old MagLite

Above, my old MagLite flashlight and a retrofit kit. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

It had been several years since I last used my old 2-D Cell MagLite flashlight. I had no spare bulbs left and I could not find them at any store around (when I happened to remember to look for any). I wanted to use the flashlight for camping.

I bought a cheap flashlight for The Beast, but it is limited in the amount of lumens it puts out. I also have a camp lantern. But I liked my old MagLite flashlight. (It is also useful as a mini baton.)

I checked R.E.I., Target, Walmart and other stores who carry MagLites, but none had replacement bulbs.

Then, I thought of looking online and, presto(!), I found replacement bulbs. I checked MagLite's website and found that they no longer carry the old bulbs but now have "retrofit" kits for the older model flashlights (the kind that I have). The retrofit kit contains parts that, once installed, will allow the old flashlight to accept new Xenon LED bulbs. I bought two of them (always good to have a spare!).

As you can see from the top photo, the retrofit works!

If you happen to have an older MagLite flashlight, don't toss it away. Instead, get a MagLite retrofit kit.

To view MagLite's website, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog